Monday, July 1, 2024

Back to Basics- Rediscovering "Old School" black hair care

I've made a decision this week to return to the traditional ways of caring for natural hair. While I appreciate the advancements the natural hair community has made in promoting self-love and proper care for kinky, coily hair, overtime, I feel that the focus has shifted towards excessive consumerism and product junky-ism.


I've reached a breaking point this week and decided to go back to basics in my hair care routine (I'm talking about that old school hair care). I will still carry forward the valuable lessons I've learned along the way, such as the importance of proper cleansing, clarifying, deep conditioning, proper product order and using products that actually do work for my hair type. However, I'm saying goodbye to the endless cycle of buying expensive jellies, butters, curl smoothies, and soufflés that don't necessarily deliver results.


I am grateful for the variety of options available to women of color with different hair textures today. If these products work for you, that's fantastic. But personally, I have realized that I have been swayed by the belief that natural ingredients are the only way to go. While I appreciate natural remedies, I am open to using man-made alternatives if they prove to be effective.


After investing in yet another round of products that didn't meet my expectations, I have come to the realization that the products I used in the past worked well for me. Back then, we were content with what we had (mainly because we didn't have a choice) and our hair flourished. Most people that I knew didn't experience major challenges with their hair until they were introduced to the perm. The natural hair movement brought about positive change, but also led us to discard products that were actually beneficial to some.


I am embarking on this journey back to the basics (old school black hair care) to conduct my own experiments and make informed decisions based on my own experiences, rather than blindly following trends or someone else's opinions. I am revisiting products like grease, pink hair lotion, hot combs (electric, of course), roller sets, press and curls, curl activator and more, to see how they work for my/my daughters's hair.


That's not to say that I expect these products to be "perfect." I've learned the hard way, after years of experimentation, that nothing is perfect. The products just have to effective, and I have to see if the shortcomings are something that I can live with. 


It has been a week since I made this decision and I am already seeing promising results. Here's to saving money, finding contentment in simplicity, and embracing the journey ahead.


Peace and blessings,

LaDay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Basics- Rediscovering "Old School" black hair care

I've made a decision this week to return to the traditional ways of caring for natural hair. While I appreciate the advancements the nat...